Military Academy Nominations
Service Academy Nomination Information
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Brown may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
This packet contains important information regarding the nominations process and important deadlines and information.
Frequently Asked Questions for Academy Nominations
What is a nomination?
A nomination is required to be appointed to 4 of the 5 United States Service Academies. Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Vice-President of the United States
- Service-affiliated nominations are also available to children of career officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces, including active and reserve.
- Children of deceased or disabled veterans or children of Medal of Honor winners may also receive nominations.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 4th Congressional District of Maryland.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
A completed application and interview with the service nomination board are also required.
Who do I contact to request an application?
When do I apply for a nomination?
The nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a nomination application packet to the District Office s October 17, 2017.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of a complete application form. Within the applcation form you will be asked to provide:
- An Official High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- A personal statement.
- Three letters of recommendation
Applications must be submitted with all information completed, including the letters of recommendation. The only information that may be submitted seperately is test scores using the testing service codes found in the application form.
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in early to mid-November.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are four service academies that members of Congress may nominate applicants to:
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
A nomination is not required for:
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria. You must establish a candidate file with the service academy or academies of your choosing to be considered for a nomination.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
- Scout Leaders
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final appointment decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I am interetested in more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered a nomination?
Applicants will be notified of the nomination decision on their application no later than January 31, 2018.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.